Monday, September 2, 2013

Whaddaya Say?


Today Molly, Charity, and I boarded the Disney Magic, and headed straight for the lunch buffet.  After completely stuffing ourselves, we walked around the ship to give Charity a quick tour (this being her first Disney cruise).  We read “The Navigator” (the ship’s daily guide to what’s happening about the ship) and discovered the spa was giving a special on a foot/ankle/shoulder/neck/head massage and decided we should partake of said special.  After all, what could be a better start to our cruise (especially after a 13.1 mile race) than to be massaged into restful, relaxation mode?  So I toddled off to the spa and booked all three of us this activity for 4:30, right after the emergency drill.
 
After making sure we knew where and how to board our lifeboat in the case of an emergency, we headed for the spa and got prepared for our pampering.


My masseuse weighed about 12 pounds and looked to be younger than I wanted to think about.  But after brushing my legs and arms with a stiff-bristle brush and washing my feet with a hot wet towel (maybe my legs and feet were hairier and dirtier than I thought), she started her magic.  In other words, she was great, kneading and working around all the tight areas.


As she was starting, she poured what I can only surmise was melted hot Vaseline on my back (sure, I know it was oil, but it was much warmer and thicker  than the stuff my massage envy masseuse of the month squirts out of his/her belt squirter).   Although I was a little bit surprised at the warmth and amount, it did feel quite good, and pretty soon I felt like a greased pig.


As she was finishing up, Little One asked me if I minded oil in my hair (or something to that effect – I was pretty much in a massage coma at that point).  I said that no, I didn’t mind, thinking she meant that she still had some liquid Vaseline on her hands and it might get on my hair.


But that wasn’t what she meant.  I knew this as soon as I felt the leftover liquid Vaseline being poured on the hairline of my hair.  For the next 10 minutes Little One worked it into as much of the rest of my hair as possible, pouring every last bit into my hair in order to continue to massage my scalp.


Soon she was finished and dinged her little “wake up lazy butt” chime.  She went out to get me a swig of water and for me to reclothe myself.  I looked in the mirror even though I knew what I would be seeing, and was not disappointed.  The top of my head hair was an oily matted glob and the rest was sticking straight out in every direction.  In other words, I was a scary mess.


I managed (using my fingers as a comb) to at least calm down the wild parts to hang with the oily parts and head to the changing room to find Molly and Charity.  Who promptly asked, “Do you know what your hair looks like?”  Just before they died laughing hysterically.


Anyhow, after shampooing my hair twice, I think I may have gotten some of the liquid Vaseline out.  I’m just not sure if Molly and Charity will ever stop laughing …

Today was a great day because:  Molly went out a got me Starbucks and Tim Hortons; we took a cab to the port rather than walking; we upgraded to a little bigger cabin; we saw lots of interesting people; we have pretty decent tablemates; we got our bags before dinner and got unpacked; I got a wonderful jacket from John and Anne

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

Does the jacket have a hoody? Maybe to cover your Vaseline hair? Have fun!

Denise in PA said...

I will remember to tell the massage girl that "yes, I do mind if oil gets in my hair" next month - LOL!