Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Best Moment of the Day

If you had to pick it, what was the best moment of your day today? Was it early this morning because you just love getting up early? Will it be tonight, because crawling into bed is the moment you've looked forward to all day? Was it some moment in the middle of today when you finished a project, or met someone for coffee, or just had five quiet minutes to yourself?

For me, it was the moment just after I had taken the recycling and made it to the bank before they closed. Both were tasks that I needed to complete, and I was happy to check them off my to-do list. I was pleased that I had just barely managed to accomplish both on time.

There were several good moments today, but that was the best because it turned an ineffective afternoon around. In the space of five minutes, I became productive, motivated, and encouraged.

Much ado about nothing, I suppose. But maybe by recognizing a seemingly insignificant moment for the influence it had, such moments gain importance. Small moments become meaningful because I make them so.

Watch for the small moments. They can become the moments that make the big things happen, or change the course of your day, or just make a day make sense. After all, no moment is ever small if it matters to you.

No comments: