Friday, June 13, 2008

Fifty is Nifty

One of the great things about getting older is the ability to do things you might not consider doing earlier in your sane life. Case in point: tonight I signed up to be a volunteer in a golf tournament. At this point, I have no idea what job I will be assigned - probably directing traffic in a parking lot.

In case you're interested, the golf tournament is the PGA tournament held in Disney World in October. I own a set of golf clubs, I have played a few rounds of golf, I know the basic premise of the game, and I watch it occasionally on television. Does this make me qualified to be a volunteer? Of course it does - I'm 50!

I realize that many people don't wait so long to do such things. For me, maybe it's my time to do new things because of the opportunity, or the new interests, or the freedom. But whatever the reasons, it's fun to see new doors open, even when those doors may open to one body part aching, another one drooping, and something else wrinkling up. I'm finding 50 is just full of new experiences to explore.

So I'm hoping to add "Golf Tournament Volunteer" to my resume. I can't wait to see what I add next!

No comments: