Thursday, June 5, 2008

Here I Go Again

No, I'm not going out of town or running another half-marathon - at least not yet. Today I joined Weight Watchers - for the third time. The first two times were very successful for me. Why did I stop? Because I had lost significant amounts of weight, and I thought I was cured (never mind the fact that I had started to gain a little, and decided to quit while I was ahead).

I had really wanted to avoid joining up again. I kept thinking I could lose weight on my own. But finally last night, I came to grips with reality. The scales were changing alright, but in the wrong direction. I clearly needed help and I knew what worked for me, so it was just going to get it.

The hardest part was to admit that I can't lose weight on my own. I hate asking for help, especially when it seems for something that should be so simple - just quit eating the wrong stuff. But my personal plan just wasn't working. So today I went to the meeting and signed up again.

As soon as the meeting started, I knew I was in the right place. I need this camaraderie and encouragement. I need the accountability and information. I need the enthusiasm and sense of belonging. I need this group to keep me focused and moving in the direction I want.

All I had to do was admit that I needed help. No matter how much weight I need to lose, admitting and asking for help was the hardest part. Now that I've done that, I can do the rest.

1 comment:

Kat said...

Why is it so hard to ask for help? (rhetorical question!) I struggle with the same thing with my smoking.... I finally get to where I want to be (NOT smoking) and just when I think I'm "cured," I end up progressing in the wrong direction and before you know it, I'm right back where I started again. I know you have a big goal ahead, but I know you can do it! I've heard great things about WW, and I know it'll work for you!