Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Grandmothering

These days and nights, I spend a lot of time at Maribeth's. With Mathieu deployed in Cuba, and with a newborn and a four-year-old, Maribeth seems to welcome any help I can offer. Of course, things are different than they were when I had little ones at home, so I try to pay attention to the latest things in baby-rearing. For instance, mandatory car seats were just getting serious when we had our first baby, and let's not even get started talking about breast pumps and feeding. I just try not to look completely ignorant and out of date.

Anyhow, I try to do the right things and not totally corrupt my granddaughters. And just about the time that I think I am doing it all wrong, I just remember the thing that is most important - being a grandparent is all about love. While we want to offer our expertise (no matter how long ago we were experts), or question the latest trend (which changes quite often),  our most important job is to love as unconditionally as we can, especially when they are little. I had that blessing as I was growing up with my grandmother, Nannie, who loved me for who I was, not who I should become. And so I shall try my best to continue that legacy - because in the end, love is the most important thing I can do.


*****************************************************************************************
Thankful today for: Lindley, Everley, and Emmatha time - and at different times!!

No comments: