Sunday, May 31, 2009

It's All In The Details

After Nashville's very rainy season this spring, the flooding has stopped and it's time to crank up the sprinklers. Our sprinkler system is semi-functional at this point, needing some repairs. But it still will water most of the yard, so last week I turned it on - at least the parts that are working properly.

Today I noticed that my petunias are looking puny. Since I plant with reckless abandon, I could chalk it up to that. But I also am considering the fact that I haven't watered them properly. So today I decided to have the sprinklers go on twice a day to hopefully revive them back into life.

I go to the control box, punching every button I think is needed. I punch the time, the program, the station time amounts, my favorite color, and any other information that I think it needs. At 6:00 pm, I peek outside to see if I was successful. I wasn't. I imagine every reason why, and go back to the box to check out my previous work. It all looked good, except for one thing - I hadn't punched the buttons that said which days I wanted the water in the afternoon.

It just goes to show that sometimes you think you have every base covered, but you don't. One little detail keeps you from success. You just have to check it all over again and find that little thing that keeps progress away. For me, it was punching in the days - which was a pretty good lesson for me to learn, because if I really want change to happen in my life, it's going to have to be an everyday thing.

We'll see who gets it together first - me or the petunias!

No comments: