Thursday, February 25, 2010

Looking Past the Exterior

Late this afternoon I boarded yet another plane for yet another trip for yet another race - only a 5k this weekend. I always look at the plane - usually looking for a bright, shiny new one that looks like I will get to my destination without crashing.

When I looked out today, I saw a yellow plane - the old Southwest yellowish orange color. I couldn't help but wonder how old this plane was, and whether the wings were going to stay on. As I was boarding, I realized it was one of those specially painted Southwest planes - but it still had the impression of being an old plane to me. The flight was fairly smooth and without incident. So my first impression was faulty - I had to experience it to realize what mattered.

I realized that's the way it is with people. Sometimes that outward appearance has very little to do with the spirit of the person. The most valuable part of a person lies deep within - and we have to experience that person to get the blessing.

I'll probably still look on the outside of things - planes and people included. But I hope I won't stop there. Because if I did, I'd never get anywhere or get the joy of knowing some very special people.

And come to think of it, maybe they wouldn't get to know me!
__________________________________________________________________
Things that make today great: Partnering with Molly at boot camp; babysitters club with Lindley; safe, smooth flight; upgrade at Hilton; Steak and Shake with Steve

No comments: