Saturday, July 10, 2010

Art?


Ok, just for starters, I am not an artist. On a different note, I am a proponent of recycling. Today while I was having lunch, art and recycling collided, making me a bit uncomfortable.

Molly noticed it first. The sculpture was on the side counter by our table. Molly suggested I look at it and take a picture. I did. My question is, did he have to be so anatomically correct? As hard as I tried, I could not come up with a different explanation for the appendage in between his hands. And frankly, I did not care to have his appendage staring at me while I ate my country-fried steak and macaroni and cheese.

A few years ago, Nashville commissioned a piece named "Musica." It depicts a group frolicking around freely sans clothes - enjoying music, I guess. Frankly, while music has moved me in many ways, it has never prompted me to shed my clothes with my fellow choir members and dance around outside in my birthday suit. And yes, when it was first installed, I had to drive around it a few times and gawk. I've even run a few races whose route took us by the sculpture and still managed to keep my clothes on.

I don't consider myself a major prude. But I'm just not sure I need a yim-yam flaring out at me in public. I guess it's art - it certainly caught my attention. I'm just not sure how to critique it!
___________________________________________________________________
Things that make today great: breakfast at the hotel; shopping with Molly at The Container Store, IKEA, and H&M; lunch at the OK Cafe; drive back to Nashville; dinner delivery via Steve

No comments: