Thursday, July 1, 2010

Voices

Yes, I hear voices. Usually it's the chocolate ice cream in the freezer, or the leftover Halloween candy. But since I've consumed all of that, I guess they had to say other stuff today. Let me elaborate ...

This morning I had custody of Molly's car because there was a nail in the rear left tire. The plan was for me to take it to the tire store down the street and get it fixed. During the ride to the tire store, a voice kept saying, "Just pass the tire store and go to the dealership." But I refused to listen and pulled into the tire store parking lot. They were a little busy since it was just after the 7am opening time. I didn't have an appointment and was told that it would be about 45 minutes before they could look at the tire. About that time, Tire Dude came over to tell me that the nail was in a bad place in the tire and couldn't be fixed. They didn't have that particular tire, but could sell me one of theirs. Since I figured Molly would prefer matching tires, I thanked him and decided to head on to the dealership, WHERE I SHOULD HAVE BEEN ANYWAY, HAD I LISTENED TO THE VOICE!!

Anyhow, I got to the dealership and they said they had the tire in stock. However, since I didn't have an appointment, they would have to "fit me in." In other words, I sat in the customer lounge for the next 3 hours. The ac was set on a sub-zero setting, and since I was in my "I'll just run out for a quick errand and nobody will see me" outfit (the jogging shorts I slept in and a fresh t-shirt), I was rather chilly. Add no-makeup and my frizzy hair shoved into a pony-tail holder, and I was quite lovely. After three hours, I was also getting quite hungry, since it was past time I should be eating my "mid-morning diet meal." I decided I would get some peanuts from the vending machine. The voice said, "IF YOU GET THOSE, THE CAR WILL BE READY, SO DON'T GET THEM." But I did anyhow, and as I got ready to punch the buttons, they pulled up the car. I got the peanuts anyway.

As I got ready to drive away, the voice said, "DON'T EAT THOSE PEANUTS - YOU WILL MESS UP YOUR DIET AND YOU WILL BE SORRY." I ate them anyway. And promptly chased them down with a Starbucks. And then a tuna sandwich when I got home. And then more stuff that I'd rather not mention. And yes, the diet was shot for today.

Finally, after picking up Lindley at day care and shopping with Molly, we decided to stop by Sonic. I was eyeing the foot-long Coney dog. The voice said, "NOOOOOOOO." But I did anyway. And now, a few hours later, I finally understand the reasoning behind the voice.

So, today's lesson is to listen to those little voices - at least when they seem to be making good sense. Maybe tomorrow my hearing will improve!
___________________________________________________________________
Things that make today great: Molly's new tire; waiting for Molly's new tire; Lindley at Molly's; home remodel shopping with Molly; Sonic supper; Molly's bedroom furniture buyers

2 comments:

molly said...

A) I'm pretty sure the voice telling you to get the coney was mine.

B) I'm glad all the highs of today are about me. Maribeth will cry herself to sleep tonight.

Marilyn said...

We are getting a Sonic- on the other side of town- I seem to have many pts. that need seeing over there so I keep abreast of the progress. Will definitely get a Coney and Stberry Limeade the day it opens.