Thursday, July 15, 2010

God Will Supply

Yesterday in a fit of cleaning, I decided to wash my bedroom curtains. These are the curtains I made after we remodeled, which was sometime back in the 1880s. I made the curtains, hung them, and let them be until yesterday, when I decided that the layers of dust had to go.

I thought the worst thing would be that they would be wrinkled. When I took them from the dryer, they weren't so bad - in terms of wrinkle-ness, anyhow. Then I hung them, and realized that wrinkles were not the problem - the new length was.

Apparently the curtains shrank. I realize I probably could have laundered them differently, but I didn't, and therefore ended up with curtains that were six inches too short. Luckily I could still hang them and maintain some privacy, which I did so I could pull a Scarlett O'Hara and think about my problem another day.

I was in no mood to sew new ones. My house is a mess, and creating a new mess was even less appealing that too-short curtains. I went to Target to look at curtains, even choosing a few to bring home in hopes they would do. The problem was that the curtains were 63 inches long, and my windows are 54 (give or take an inch or two). So it looked like I was going to have to sew after all - which did not thrill me with joy.

I decided to shop around a little more and visited a couple of stores with no success. My last hope was Wal-Mart, presumably to look at fabric. While there, I looked at their curtains. I found some which might suffice - 63 inches, though. Down the aisle there were some more - cheaper but still 63 inches. I kept going down the line, finding more possibilities. Then I saw them - a set of curtain panels, and they were 54 inches - the right size. They were also the color of my walls, so I knew they would do. Maybe they weren't perfect, but they were just what I needed at this point in my life.

I could help but think of the Bible verse in Philippians 4:19, "And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus," (English Standard Version). Sure, some may think God doesn't have time to worry with my curtain issues. But I think He does. I think He knew what I needed and provided me with it. He did it because He loves me and wants me to trust Him with everything in my life - from the tiniest of things to the greatest.

It's easy to ask God in the big things in life - sickness, trouble, distress, flying in airplanes. But I tend to overlook Him in the nitty-gritty of everyday life. And yet that's when I should be in constant contact with Him. The more often and more intimate conversations with God create the relationship that I most desire, one of ultimate dependence on the One who created me. After all, He knows me best and all my needs before I do. And because of His love for me, He wants only good for my life. I just have to believe and trust - every day in all things.
___________________________________________________________________
Things that make today great: retail therapy; tending to Rambo; picking up Lindley from day care; veggies and cornbread for dinner

No comments: