Thursday, April 13, 2017

What Did You Say? It's Spring??

Of course it's spring in Nashville. The sun is shining, the grass is greening, the flowers are blooming, and the weather is warming. And to celebrate spring and all of these activities of nature, my throat is scratchy, my nose is runny, and my right ear is stopped up so I can't hear anything. Supposedly Nashville lives in a "bowl" where none of this stuff gets blown away. When we first moved here, I would get really bad sinus headaches. I think my brain eventually gave up and just left it to my sinuses to deal with the stuff. Time to go browse the pharmaceutical aisle at The Wal Mart to see the newest thing that I shall be ingesting for the next however-long-it-takes-to-get-over-this.

Spring on my street is lovely. Our lawn that turns brown in the winter has turned green and our mower man has started his weekly visits. The skeleton trees started their buds and are sprouting leaves. The trees that have flowers have started their shows and the knockout roses have returned to their glory. And yes, pollen happens. It happens all over my car and wreaks havoc on my sinuses.

Instead of a full-blown cold, I just have a fine trickle of pollen-induced drainage that makes its way from somewhere in my nasal cavities down some hidden passageway in the vicinity of my ear and throat. My nose attempts some lame resistance by sneezing, to no avail. My ear just waves a white flag of defeat and shuts down. My throat asserts its dominance by offering a lame attempt at a cough. And all the while, the pollen just laughs.

There's no point in going to the clinic. I have no fever, no visible drainage of any significance, and no obvious symptoms. The last couple of times I went, each medical person would tell me what OTC meds I should take, only to be told on the next visit that that med was totally inappropriate and the worst thing I should take. Of course, once I was told to take an OTC med, and it worked, but do you think I remember which one it was? Of course not! So I shall repeat my trial and error method of finding some relief. Right now it's Mucinex for the cough and other things and Aleve for my ear when it acts up.

Anyhow, I really do like spring. It's beautiful and welcoming to a season-oriented person like me. It's almost like fall, when it's beautiful again. And when all the foliage that this pollen creates begins to die back and turn into dust and irritate my sinuses once again. Gesundheit, everyone!!

***************************************************************************************
Blessings today include: cleaning a few items; Everley, Emmatha, and Lindley time

No comments: