Saturday, December 11, 2010

A Coach's Encouragement

Sam, Lynnette, and I signed up for the Snowflake 5K that was scheduled for this morning. As it turned out, Sam had a meeting to attend and Lynnette had a baby shower to give. Last night as I was leaving their house, I said that I would only do the 5K "if the weather was really nice." I had seen today's forecast, and fully expected it to be raining when I got up this morning.

Cut to this morning. I wake up and the sun is shining and the temperature is not too cold. In other words, it was God's way of saying, "It's time you got your butt back on the road." Or at least something like that. So I got dressed and drove to the park. I got my shirt, bib, and goody bag and got in the pack at the start line. The gun went off, and off we went.

I haven't trained in quite awhile. I took two weeks off at Thanksgiving and did nothing more than sit on the couch and feed my face. I returned to butt camp this week, but just as Rome wasn't built in a day, my flabby and neglected muscles were not retrained in a week. In other words, I wasn't exactly in shape to be doing a 5K.

But I did it. My time wasn't awful, and I managed to get some jogs accomplished in between the power walking. I managed to stay ahead of several 10 year old girls, and maybe even an adult - in other words, I wasn't last. I finished, and was very glad I did the 5K.

It's time to get back on the road and start training again. I felt good after the race, both physically and mentally, and believe it was God's way of saying, "You need to be doing this again."

It's good to know my Coach always knows what I need to hear. It's good to know that He knows what's best for me. But most of all, it's good to know that He cares about me is with me every step of the way.
________________________________________________________________________
Today's blessings: Snowflake 5K; Lindley time; dinner at Local Taco and Hallelujah Girls with my butt camp buds; visiting Maribeth at work with Molly; Molly bringing me happy hour drink

No comments: