Saturday, December 18, 2010

It's A Wonderful Life

Today, I went to a local theater with a few of my boot-ies to see "It's A Wonderful Life." If you haven't seen it, it's the story of what could have been, had a person not lived his life on this Earth. It's a great lesson to realize that even the things and experience that we may perceive as "bad" may have a positive effect on those around us.

So, with that in mind, I would like to clarify a few incidents in my past.

First of all, there was the "cutting up of my sister's doll dress and the breakage of her ballerina doll's legs." I would like to go on record that I don't remember the exact reasons for these activities - perhaps I was trying to refashion the doll dress, or help the ballerina doll perform a grand jete'. At any rate, had these events not happened, my sister probably would have never received another doll, since the dumb ballerina doll would not have been damaged. And my sister wouldn't have had all that free time, since I was probably in time out for an extended period.

Second is the time a friend and I encouraged my little brother to drink perfume, and were quite successful in our quest. Had this not happened, he might have become an alcoholic because he was not repulsed by the taste of the liquid and just been inclined to drink anything that came in a bottle.

Next would be the time after two weeks of marriage, I inadvertently threw $20 (or was it $40) in the trash can, never to be found. Since this was back during the Depression, that money covered a year's rent and three years of food. But had the money not "disappeared," we would not have learned how to make peanut butter casserole, peanut butter alfredo, grilled peanut butter, peanut butter salad, ...

There are probably a few more incidents, but I think you get the message. In other words, I have done no wrong - the wrong part is how other people have perceived the incident!
_____________________________________________________________________
Today's blessings: Stroller ride in the neighborhood with Lindley; pizza lunch with Steve, Maribeth, Molly, Lindley, and Lynnette; movie and hot chocolate with Karen, Pallu, Michelle, and Campbell; Rafferty's for dinner via Steve

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

How about this example: If I had not told my younger sister that someone had thrown up in the same pot that our grandmother was serving spice tea in, that sister might have grown up to be a tea-holic- plus all those things have given us many laughs through the years. What about all those "neew-ups" that we heard through the years? What if Daddy had said YES, OF COURSE DARLINGS, would we be different now?