Sunday, January 4, 2015

And Then It's January 4 ...

Okay, so maybe you don’t have a January 4. Maybe you don’t have that day when the reality of a new year whacks you in the face. Maybe you don’t have that day when all that enthusiasm and all those intentions (notice I did not say resolutions) for the new year seem to go up in flames. Maybe you don’t. But I do.

Unless you are absolutely amazing (okay, so yes, some of you are), there’s got to be that day when you realize that all of those great hopes and dreams of smarter eating and daily exercising and consistently reading the Bible (and okay, daily blogging) are not materializing. The crushing blow is when you realize that day is about four days into the new year. You realize that not only are you not doing any of those brilliant plans for having an unbelievable year, but you have yet to begin any of those great plans. And so you sink into a funk. Happy New Year, indeed.

And so this is where I find myself today (or whatever day you and I both really know it is). Have I already failed myself and 2015? Is this year really going to be no different than last? Am I really never going to change my life like I want to?

So I have to start over. Again. I have to recall that old saying of “Today is the first day of the rest of your life.” I have to convince myself that 2015 may have started a few days ago, but my new life can start today. Or tomorrow. Or whichever day I choose, if I make that day the day I want it to be.

I have to convince myself that change does not mean that every day is perfect. Every day will not look like the ideal day I have in my head. Every day will not proceed exactly as I believe it should, as I want it to be, or as I imagine it could be. At least not in my world of uncertainties.

But there will be a day that I will do the things I want to do, in order to make changes in my life. And maybe if I do them on that day, then maybe I can do them the next day. All I can do is one day at a time, because that’s really all I have to work with.

Happy to 2015, The Year of Change – whenever it begins!
*********************************************************************************

Today is a gift because:  CF brunch with Udderly Pinkers  Bruce, Sharon, KB, and Molly; Lindley time

No comments: