Monday, January 26, 2015

D-Day - Let's Tankless It!!

So today was the day that we were going to move into modern times. Our ginormous old water heater was going to be replaced by a new little tankless one (which I still don't fully understand how it works, and Steve is still on the fence as to whether he will have enough hot water for a shower). The plumber dudes showed up early and got to work.

After a few hours, the head plumber dude found me and asked if I knew when the gas dudes would be there (remember, the gas dudes came to the house, decided they wanted to party with the plumber dudes when they were here, and "rescheduled" for Monday, which would be today). I told the plumber I would call the gas company and ask. Which I did, and after several calls and transfers and explanations to new people, I found out that the dudes that came did NOT reschedule - they put a note on my paperwork to return when the hot water heater was put in.

NOT ACCEPTABLE!!  The plumbers said they didn't want to hook up to the old meter/doohickey because then when the new meter/doohickey was installed, they would have to re-do all they had done. So I explained this to some very nice, very competent person at the gas company (who was actually working in the Arkansas office), who sent a note (it must have been a tersely worded doozie note) to somebody in Nashville. The Nashville dude called me back in just a few minutes, and soon I had two new gas dudes at my house, meeting up with the plumber dudes, and soon a meter/doohickey party was on. Once finished, the gas dudes left and plumber dudes kept working on piping and assembling and drilling and hammering. At quittin' time, the head plumber dude said the old water heater was still hooked up, because he couldn't hook up the new one until a new exhaust pipe thingy was installed through the roof, because you have to have a straight shot and our existing one was a twisty turny thing.

They cannot come back tomorrow, because they have to go finish up somebody's else's new tankless, but they will be back on Thursday. Which will hopefully also be when the roofer dude will be able to come and put a new hole in the roof and patch the old hole.

I hope the roofer dude has it on his schedule ...
********************************************************************************
Today is a gift because: taking Everley to school; nice workers of all kinds at my house; helpful people at the gas company

No comments: