Friday, January 30, 2015

Let's Move The Refrigerator!

A few years ago, I decided that I was tired of dealing with the ice maker in our refrigerator. The problem was that every time you pulled out the freezer door, the ice would sling all over the floor (perhaps this is a little exaggerated, but it's close). After careful consideration and advice (not always solicited), I chose a new fancy model. When it was delivered, the very kind delivery/installer people disassembled the old refrigerator and installed it in the sunroom (just a short hallway from the kitchen).

Now, it was never my dream to have a refrigerator in my sunroom. My ideal was to sit in the sunroom and enjoy the sun. However in the past year, due to yard sales and general junk deposits from the family, the sunroom has become a junk room. Adding the cast-off refrigerator did not help the ambiance of the sunroom.

Now that my laundry room has been cleared of the old hot water heater, there is room for the old refrigerator to be installed there. There is only one small problem - I shall be doing this myself. And as in most projects I decide to undertake, this one may prove perilous.

Currently there is only a washer and dryer in the laundry room. I took out the large cabinet on which I fold clothes and that holds the kitty litter box. So clearly I have plenty of room in which to put the old refrigerator. There is only one small problem - the refrigerator will not fit through the door.

I know my plan of action. First I shall have to remove the door from the hinges. Usually one can just pop out the pin of the hinge and off comes the door. However, this door (of course) does not permit one to do that. So instead, I have to unscrew the hinges from the door frame, thus freeing the door from the frame, and making a larger opening for the refrigerator to go through.

However, it is still not big enough for the refrigerator. So next I  have to take off the doors to the refrigerator. It has three because it's a french door model. I manage to complete this task, but find that the refrigerator is a bit heavy, so I have to empty the refrigerator and freezer compartments. This is actually a blessing because it gives me the chance to (a) purge all the yucky food and (b) thoroughly clean the refrigerator (a job that didn't get done when it was moved to the sunroom because it didn't get turned off).

So, the door to the laundry room is off. The doors to the refrigerator is off. The refrigerator is emptied and cleaned. And the refrigerator is now easily moved up the one step to the laundry room. I put it in it's new location and reattached all the doors (thank goodness for my battery-operated screwdriver).

Although the room still has some issues, it's nice to see the laundry room is coming together.  You can see all the new pipes in the background. You can't see that lack of tiles. But it's coming together. Sort of like me ...
********************************************************************************
Today is a gift because: moving the refrigerator; Lindley and Everley time; safe travel for Steve to Columbus

No comments: