Friday, March 11, 2016

The Things I Learn

I am not generally a cussin' woman. I was pretty much cured of using inappropriate language after the time I said in front of my mother, "Curses, Foiled Again!" from my favorite cartoon show. She promptly used words from her mouth that let me know that that was the last time those three words would come from my mouth.

Now, I do admit that in certain situations, I have been known to cut loose with a few choice words and/or phrases that have certainly been on a higher level than those of Snidely Whiplash. And while I may (or may not) have regretted the use of words that need a mouth-washin', I did believe they were appropriate for that given circumstance.

Which leads me to today's discussion - words that I thought were innocent utterances that apparently are not. Innocent, that is. Usually these words are not in normal word circulation, and now I understand why. But I have heard them, and thought they were okay. Another reason I probably should stop thinking. Anyhow, here are a few words that I shall not be using:

Dingleberry. Which I thought meant a goofus, silly person. No, it does not mean that. The first meaning listed is "a particle of fecal matter attached to the anal hair of an animal." Granted, the second meaning listed is "a foolish or inept person." But after hearing the first meaning, I shall always think of it. And will still use it, but for a totally different type of person.

Gee Willikers. Which I thought was an expression like "golly." No. It most certainly does not mean that. According to my Internet sources, it means "A phrase originated in the 1950's for the ultimate climax." Yeah, that's pretty much leaving my word bank.

I would leave you with some words of wisdom, but I won't. Mainly because who knows what they really mean!!
******************************************************************************************
Thankful today for: quiet Friday at home; airport run for Steve

No comments: