Monday, March 6, 2017

Books

While my "Sixty Things" has hit a stoppage, things have been accomplished. They just haven't been recorded nor reported on. For instance, let's talk about books. Mainly that I'm supposed to read 60 of them. I've read two. Lucky for me I still have about 17 months left to read some (I'm stretching out this 60 things for two years - my actual 60th year of living, and my official year of being 60). Anyhow, on to the books ...

Life Is Short by Jennifer Arnold and Bill Klein. Yes, it's the "Little Couple" from TLC. I've become less enamored with TLC over the years, but I do like this family. And I do like this book. It's basically a book wherein they talk about difficulties they face in their lives, and how what they learned might help us along the way. It's positive and offers a bright outlook on things that happen in our lives. Every chapter is an easy quick read, and does cause some thinking along the way. I checked it out of the library, but have considered purchasing it for my own library, if for nothing else, to be able to reread it and mark it up with a highlighter and my own notes.

The Whistler by John Grisham. Back in the Dark Ages, John Grisham and I actually attended college at the same time. And we were in the same business fraternity/club/thing. I think I attended two meetings, one of which was the obligatory club photo for the yearbook.So you can see the close relationship I have with the author. That being said, I have read several of his books, and this one did not disappoint. Like many of his other books, Grisham bases this one on the legal profession, although this time in an office of judicial conduct. There are bad guys and good guys and characters to like and those to hate. Grisham does his usual great job of getting you through a chapter, wrapping it up enough to satisfy you, yet keep you wanting to read "just one more chapter." It was a fairly quick read, mainly because I just kept "reading just one more chapter" and the book didn't require me to think very hard (meaning I don't read Tom Clancy). Anyhow, it was a good read.

I have this dream of reading more, which was one of the reasons why I put "reading 60 books" on my 60 list. I've just got to remember to write them down in my 60 book!!
*****************************************************************************************
Blessings today include: finalizing travel plans; quiet day to do nothing

No comments: