Monday, March 27, 2017

Road Trip!!

Sometime between now and August 2018 (I'm thinking more like Spring/Summer 2018) I'm going to do a massive road trip. Like through all 48 states. Some dude mapped it out online, and that's the plan I'm following. His idea is that you not only go through all contiguous 48 states, but you also visit a national landmark in all those states. Seems like a stellar idea to me - and is on my "Sixty Things" list.

Of course, there are a few glitches. For one, his estimate is that it would take you two to three months to complete. I don't want to spend that long on the road. If you just drove it straight through, it would take you approximately 10 days, a time period that I don't think allows you to stop and see the sites. Or eat. Or go to the bathroom. Or get gas. So I don't think that timeline will work either.

Today I decided to start planning this trip. Mainly, because it's going to take a lot of planning. And if I don't start planning it now, I will procrastinate until the day before departure and have a big mess (or cancel the whole thing, which is not part of the plan). So I pulled out my map (taken from the website) and started looking at it.

The good part is that the dude broke it down into sections. And one section just happens to begin in Memphis (at Graceland, where else?). So I decided to start with that section (I'm only going to plan one section at a time, taking my time, so I don't go absolutely cray-cray). This particular section goes through Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, and Arizona. It's 3708 miles and straight-through driving time would be 58 hours. I devised a schedule with leaving time, looking time, eating time, and sleeping time, and estimated that this section would take around eight days. And there are six sections!! You do the math ...

Anyhow, it's a start. And no, I won't be driving my roller-skate Prius for the trip. I've had a few people who have expressed interest in doing parts of it with me (and no, you still won't be allowed to drive). I don't know what vehicle I will be driving or where I will be staying (except there will no tent involved).

The best news? At least I'll have something to blog about during that time!!
******************************************************************************************
Blessings today include: stormy weather predicted that ended up not so bad; nice lawncare person; two slow miles in the 'hood; planning first leg of my 48-state road trip; finishing registration for a Dopey runner; clearing out a small bit of clutter

3 comments: