Saturday, August 19, 2017

Hello Vancouver!


By the time I made it to breakfast this morning, the word came out that we were now officially seven hours late! We were supposed to arrive around 9:30, but are now looking more at a 4:30 arrival. It wasn’t all bad – we got to see a lot of scenery that normally we would have slept through. Since the dining staff wasn’t prepared to serve lunch, they had to come up with something, and they did – an open-faced ham and cheese Mexican Pizza, or lentils and rice, or a barbeque chicken salad. While it certainly wasn’t their best, I applaud their efforts in making do.

Eventually we did make it to Vancouver! Molly had already arrived last night, and KB and Lynnette had already arrived today by the time my train pulled in. They were all at the hotel, waiting for me. We pulled into the train station, and then it was time for me to figure out how to get to the hotel.

I figured there would be a local train shuttle to the waterfront area, but rather than try to figure that out with my full-of-bricks backpack and tote bag, I opted for a taxi. I stood in the line until eventually it was my turn and I climbed in. I told the driver where I wanted to go and he looked a bit alarmed. He told me that there was some sort of bicycle race going on and the traffic was terrible. He said that it would probably take him 30-40 minutes and the train shuttle would only take 5-10. I informed him that I didn’t know where that train shuttle place was and he said he would take me and promptly made a u-turn and deposited me at that station – which was across the street from the rain station I came in to!

Anyhow, I managed to purchase a ticket and haul my belongings up the stairs and onto the train. Technically I barely made it on the train, but my backpack kept the door open long enough to get me in. Soon I was checked into my hotel!

Molly, Lynnette, and KB came to my room and we decided to go eat dinner. Once we had done that, we decided everyone was ready to return to the hotel and go to bed. The group is almost all here!


The haze is smoke from the forest fires to the north. This lake is amazing.

Just to give you an idea of the length of our train.

View of a train across the lake - with more cars than ours!

Another view of our long train!

Going into a tunnel - the views are great from the dome car,
but maybe not for photos on a rainy day!

Some campers along the river.


An added treat - an eagle in flight!

Headed into a tunnel - they were never very long.

Just another river view!

Some tents up on the ridge.

This was fascinating - a place where two rivers come together.
One is dark and one is light - you can clearly see the dividing mark!


Crossing a bridge ...

Okay, so I LOVE the landscapes!!!

I'm sorry - did you not read the last photo's caption?

Some travel via camper ...

Finally - the last bridge into Vancouver!

And I'm off the train - for the last time!

My new view - from the hotel!

And this pretty much sums up how we feel tonight!!
 *****************************************************************************************
Blessings today include: extra hours on the train; resourcefulness of the dining team; beautiful scenery along the way; cab driver help; managing the city train; great hotel room and meeting up with the girls