Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Back To School

It's that time of year again.  Time for kids and teachers to head back to school.

For teachers, it's the beginning of a new year with new students and new hopes (for everyone). Teachers have been preparing their rooms and their lesson plans, trying to meet district standards and still provide inspiring activities for their students.  That first day, the classroom is fresh and new and exciting.

For parents, it's another milestone in the lives of their children. Especially those first "first days." First day of kindergarten, first day of middle school, first day of high school. It's getting the teacher's supply list and purchasing all the things that will hopefully insure the best school year ever.

And for children, it's getting back to school, meeting new teachers and new friends.  It's new pencils and notebooks and clothes. It's terrifying and exciting and happy and sad all at the same time.

Once upon a time, I had my first day of school.  I'm sure I had on new clothes (dresses only - we couldn't wear pants until I was in junior high) and apparently needed a big sack of school supplies. My best friend, my cat probably wanted to go with me (and I probably wanted her to).  In the end, I got on the bus with my sister, and headed off to Sudduth Elementary.

It's that time of year for school to begin.  As a teacher, I miss it.  As a mom, I miss it. And as a kid, I'm sure I miss toting my big sack of absolutely amazing school supplies!!
******************************************************************************
Today was a great day because:  having breakfast with Everley so that Maribeth could take Mathieu to the National Guard for his trip to Korea; taking Lindley, Lynnette, and Sam to the airport for their trip to Texas; picking up Everley at school; chatting with carport people

No comments: