Saturday, December 13, 2014

Road Trip!

So what does one do upon one's return from two weeks of vacation? Jump in the car and head somewhere else, that's what! One is not very smart. But let me explain ...

Some time ago, Molly, Lynnette, and I signed up for the Jeff Galloway 13.1 in Atlanta that is this Sunday. Sure, we figured out that it would be on the heels of this vacation, but did that stop us? Heck no - we be dumb! So, after washing all the clothes, I procrastinated about packing (what does one pack for 24 hours?) until finally I formulated a plan. I was going to shower, put on my basic race clothes, and head for Atlanta after picking up Molly and Lynnette.

Oh wait - I forgot one detail. Molly and I had also planned to do a 5K this morning - we be really dumb! But when I woke up and noted the 35 degree temperature, I decided that it would not be a wise idea and decided against it. Meanwhile, Molly was sleeping through the whole race.

Anyhow, eventually around 10am the three of us were on the road, stopping first at Starbucks for some drinks for the road (this plot point will become crucial in about 5-7 hours). We stopped in Chattanooga to change drivers and take a bathroom break. I was feeling something so I decided to take a nap until we stopped a little later for some lunch. I was not interested in eating, as whatever I was feeling was taking a turn for the worse.

We made it to Atlanta and to the race expo to pick up our stuff. I also headed to the bathroom, as the worse was getting a little worse. We then check into the hotel - well, I did while Lynnette and Molly went for some IKEA-ing and Target-ing. As I was checking in, I had a moment of clarity and asked the desk clerk if they were full. When she said they weren't, I quickly got a separate room for Molly and Lynnette - just in case the worse happened.

I went to my room and turned up the heat and got into bed. Molly and Lynnette returned from their trip with the Dr. Pepper I had requested and then went in search of their room. I decided to take a hot bath. The scalding water helped alleviate the strange rumblings in my GI system - at least until my stomach decided to perform a Mt. Vesuvius eruption. Once this episode was over (with the requisite shower and clean up), I felt better and climbed into bed.

I'm not sure how Molly and Lynnette fared in their room, nor am I sure of what tomorrow will bring in terms of the race. For now I am happy that whatever was in my stomach causing discomfort (and all that was in it was the Starbucks from this morning) is no longer there. And I'm also happy I did bring a change of clothes with an extra shirt!
Today is a gift because: road trip with Lynnette and Molly; skipping the 5K; Molly taking over the driving; availability of room at Marriott; finally feeling better after hot bath produced results

No comments: