Thursday, September 24, 2015

Food and Wine Festival - Here We Come!!

Once I got Maggie Cat off my suitcase last night, I finished packing. And no, the golf balls were not for me - apparently Steve needed some more. He's already in Florida, working and playing golf (and apparently losing some golf balls). Anyhow, I managed to get stuff stuff into the suitcase (not Maggie Cat) and then got into bed. Unfortunately, sleep wasn't easily obtained, and soon it was time to get up and get ready for my ride to the airport at 6:30am (luckily the butt-crack-of-dawn early flight is no longer on the schedule).

KB volunteered to take me to the airport (she's flying down after lunch and Molly is flying down tonight). I made it to the airport and breezed through security (thank you TSA Pre Check!). Just as I was walking away from security, who did I see but my Krispey-Kreme-before-school librarian buddy Brenda!!  I haven't seen her in ages, so it was great to see her again, although she was in a bit of distress as she had lost her ID. Nevertheless, she was headed to Sarasota and it was a great blessing to have a little bit of a catch-up.

Since I had forgotten to check in (the Pope was on tv and I got all mesmerized with his arriving at the White House), I had gotten a B56 boarding pass. In Southwest terms, that means you board just before the final boarding group, which means you may not have overhead luggage space left and who knows where you will sit. Luckily I could upgrade at the gate (which I did, thank you) and scored an A5 board, which meant I could pick my choice of seats and have space for my suitcase. While I did have seatmates, they snoozed most of the flight (which was safe and smooth, thank you).

We landed in Orlando, and I headed for the Magical Express (although Steve was in Orlando, too, he was out playing golf - and possibly losing more golf balls). Unfortunately my sinuses/allergies decided to create turmoil in my head, so I arrived at our hotel with a possible raging sinus headache/condition. The weather was warm and humid, which didn't help anything. And, my room was not ready, so I had no place to bury my head. I left my bag at bell services and headed out to the Boardwalk for lunch, which is a hard decision to make when your sinuses are having a war with your brain. I eventually decided, ate lunch, and headed back to the hotel lobby to check on my room - which still wasn't ready. So I decided to sit in one of the comfy lobby chairs and snooze as best I could (and do so in full view of the front desk staff, should they take pity on me and find me a clean room). I did find this lady's toenails intriguing - not only were they painted, but they had little bows glued to the top.

So maybe the thermostat
was turned down a little ...
Eventually, at the official check-in time, my room was ready and I headed there. Meanwhile, Steve had finished golf and KB had arrived at the airport, so they both arrived at the hotel about 30 minutes later. We had dinner and Steve left to go to his hotel (typical Davidson travel - he's been here since Sunday, but in a different non-Disney hotel - and he's leaving tomorrow). KB and I piddled around and watched a little tv and then watched the Epcot fireworks from the bridge.  Eventually Molly made it to Orlando and to the hotel. Then it was time to go to bed - we have food and wine to consume this weekend!!
*******************************************************************************
Thankful today for: KB's lift to the airport; safe, smooth ride to Orlando; ME ride and nice seatmate; lunch and dinner at Big River; RT shelf sale; KB's and Molly's safe travel to Disney; celebrating Steve's bday

No comments: