Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Hellooo - Your Front Bumper Is Perilously Close To My Car!

This morning KB, Molly, and I managed to get out and wog four miles. After we parted ways, I headed towards Molly's house to take her home.  On the way, we stopped at a four-way stop. It was one of those stops where it would seem that you stopped at the same time as the person on your right. But you're really not positive so you look at them. Usually they look back and one of you motions for the other to go ahead. Yes, I know the person on the right has the right of way. But what if that person continues to just sit there?

Today, we waited for the "right side" person to go. And we waited some more. Since we had waited long enough, I decided to proceed through the stop. And just as I was in the center of the junction, Mr/Ms Right Side decided to proceed through the stop. And not stop. At all. Luckily for us, no one was in the left side of the street as we drove through, so I could swerve into that lane and avoid the huge SUV from plowing into my car, and Molly in the passenger seat. We kept going - and so did the SUV. Somehow we managed to avoid a collision - and I'm not sure if the SUV driver ever saw us at all.

So what's the moral of this story? Maybe it's to always wait for the right side car to go. Even if you have to honk your horn to get his/her attention. Maybe it's to zoom through intersections, just in case there's some nut who also wants to get through the intersection, and your car. Maybe it's to drive a little car like mine, so there's not much to get through the intersection and therefore not much for the big SUV to plow through. Maybe it's to get off your stupid phone and/or whatever it is that is keeping you from focusing on your crummy driving skills (bitter, much?).

Anyhow, I am extremely grateful today that God was watching out over us, and our guardian angel helped push my car through the intersection. Poor thing, she does get a workout some days!!
*******************************************************************************
Today is a gift because: Four miles with KB and Molly; Everley school pickup

1 comment:

Denise in PA said...

Scary! So glad you made it through unscathed! I have a 4-way intersection in my neighborhood that I drive through at least twice a day and this kind of thing always makes me nervous. I forgot which side has the right of way...thanks for clearing that up!