Saturday, October 25, 2014

Walk Away

The other night Everley and Lindley spent the night at our house. The next morning we had breakfast, got dressed, got hair brushed (Everley got pony tails and bows and Lindley got five headbands), and went off to school. Upon arrival, we had to decide who was going to whose room first. Needless to say, the wrong decision was made and the good life ceased to exist.

Here's how it went down: Lindley suggested that we take Everley to her room first (which was my choice, since it would be easier to drop her off than keep watch while I checked Lindley into her class). However, Everley took issue - GREAT ISSUE - with that decision and promptly began to express her opinion on the matter, namely wailing that she did not want to be first.

Lindley decided rather wisely that going to her room first would be better than witnessing the meltdown in the hall. Once the change of plans was announced, Everley's frown turned upside down and the sun came out from behind the clouds and started shining again.

That is until after we had deposited Lindley and we ended up in Everley's room, or as she had decided it had become - The Doom Room of Horror. In other words, there was no amount of cajoling or talking or bargaining that would convince Everley that today was going to be just like all the other days of school where she had fun. No, she was convinced that if she were forced to stay at school, her life was probably going to end. And with that in mind, she proceeded to scream and yell and wrap her arms and legs around my leg, protesting my leaving and her staying.

And so, having raised three of my own children and spending countless hours in various childcare situations for the past bazillion years, I knew what I had to do. I had to tell her goodbye and walk out the door. And as I listened to her pitch a fit as I walked down the hall, I knew she was in good hands and was going to have to stay - any other action would have made it even worse. As it turned out, although it was not her best day at school, she did indeed survive the day without losing life or limb.

So today's lesson was to learn to walk away when one needs to. To walk away from a situation in which staying around makes things worse. Like to walk away from the chocolate pie or sitting on my rear watching the "Law and Order" marathon on television. Maybe I understand Everley better than I think - guess who's kicking and screaming trying to walk away from those things!
*******************************************************************************
Today is a gift because: Steve and Phil's safe trip home from the game; Lindley and Everley time; MSU wins again!!!

No comments: