Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Book Review!

Today I finished Confessions of a Prairie Bitch by Alison Arngrim. For those of you who might not know, Alison played the role of Nellie, the mean girl on Little House on the Prairie, hence the title of the book. Maybe you've seen the series - my most vivid memory is that I was watching Little House when my water broke when I was 41 weeks pregnant with Sam. I have no idea what Mary and Laura and Nellie were doing, but I was sitting on the bed on a bunch of towels waiting for Steve to get back from the mall. But I digress - back to the book.

Alison writes about her life from its beginnings. She tells us about her parents, who came from different walks of life, and about her brother, who horrifically abused Alison when she was a little girl. She talks about how she met Liberace. She talks about how poor her family was at times and about several of the places her family lived. And then she won the part of Nellie, and her life changed.

If you have watched the series, you know how bad Nellie and her mother acted. While both were redeemed in later episodes, so you didn't hate them as much, Alison tells of stories when both actors were yelled at in real life because of the parts they played. She also talks about her relationship with Laura (Melissa Gilbert) which was very good, and her relationship with Mary (Melissa Sue Anderson) which was nonexistent. She also tells many stories about behind the scenes of the series.

Then she tells what happens after she left the series. She talks about what she did in those immediate years after, and where her life is now (well, where she was in 2010, when the book was published). In short, she turned out okay.

This was a quick read - finished it quickly and passed it along. And now I've checked out books written by Laura/Melissa and Mary/Melissa Sue. And Erin/Mary from The Waltons. I think I've hit a rut. At least it's better than keeping up with the Kardashians ...

***************************************************************************************
Today's blessings include: 2.5 miles in the hood with KB; actually finishing the laundry and getting clean sheets on the beds

No comments: