Sunday, November 9, 2014

Well, That Was ...

So technically when do you decide the date of a race? When you start or when you finish? Yes, normally for a "regular" race, the start and finish are on the same day. Even some of those nutcase long 50+ miles races start and end on the same day. Even for most people, this half-marathon we did would start and end on the same day. But for me, and quite a few of my peeps, we started this race one day and finally finished the next. Let me explain ...




Before the race ... and the rain ...
This bleepity-bleep race started at 10pm. Yes, 10pm. Just like last month's Tower of Terror 10-Miler. The main difference in tonight's race? Three more bleepity-bleep miles. Not that makes a difference to the speedy people who actually run these races. But for those of us who woggity-walk it, three miles is another hour. Oh, and did I mention that it rained from start to finish?

Still before the race ... and after the rain started ...
Anyhow, Molly and I met up with Katie in the lobby of our hotel (Marilyn wisely opted out of this adventure). We then got in line for the bus, which eventually came (and we were entertained by a girl who talked the entire 30 minutes we spent in line). We got to the holding area and waited awhile before heading for our corral. Where we donned our ponchos because it had started to rain. And then we waited some more until finally the race started. And the we waited some more until finally our corral got to the start line and finally got going.

Molly and Katie went on ahead and I trudged along, down to the Animal Kingdom and back to Hollywood Studios. Molly had taken a bathroom break and was waiting for me at Boardwalk. She stayed with me through the finish, where I saw my Disney pal Aisling yell for me at the finish. It was raining pretty good at this point, so we decided to skip the after party and get on the bus. Which was way down at the other end of Epcot. Where we waited in the by-now pouring rain forever - or so it seemed. Eventually our bus came and we made it back to the hotel, in a hot shower, and in bed. All by 3:30am.

Wisely, Molly and I had changed our return flights to later in the day, in hopes of getting a few hours sleep. I got up to say so-long to Marilyn, whose flight was leaving early. After she left, we got a bit of sleep before we got up to pack up and get some lunch before heading to the airport.

The best part of the race? That it was finally over. I'm hopefully marking this one off my list. And you know how I am about marking things off my list ...
Last night's (today's?) race is for Melvin (Lynnette's dad) and Ann (Lynnette's friend). Several years ago, they came down during this race. We all did the 5K together (that race was the only one that started and ended at the MK) and then Ann did part of the Wine and Dine Inaugural Half Marathon Relay (back then the race was the half marathon and a half-marathon relay for teams of two). Anyhow, Ann consented to run the half of the half that Sam was scheduled to run, but eagerly opted out when Ann volunteered to do his spot. She donned her festive headgear and did her part. Which including passing me, singing all the way (she was listening to her iPod but singing out loud). She and Molly (who did the other part of the relay) waited for me at the finish - where participants were throwing up all over due to the late hour, the alcohol they had consumed, and the heat of the night. This race is for Ann and for Melvin - maybe we'll see you at another Disney race one day (minus the throwing up, though).
*********************************************************************************
Today is a gift because: I finally finished the wet Wine and Dine half marathon; Molly finishing the race with me; seeing Aisling at the finish; chatting with Marilyn before she caught the bus for the airport; lunch at Wolfgangs with Molly; chatting with Nancy and Katie before we headed for the airport; safe, smooth flight home; Lindley and Everley time; sleeping in my own bed

No comments: