Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Sully

Today Maribeth had the day off, so she suggested we go to the movies. She also suggested that we meet at Pancake Pantry for breakfast after she dropped off the girls, so it seemed like today was going to be a good day (forget about the bazillion things that I need to be doing at home). So, around noon, we headed for the movie theater.

Maribeth had chosen the movie "Sully" to see. I wanted to see it, and hoped that it would be good. Keep in mind, I am not a fan of flying, and a super not-a-fan of airplanes crashing. But since I knew the outcome of this particular flight, I decided it was a go. And it was a great choice.

"Sully" is the story of Captain Chesley Sullenberger and the flight that he ended up landing in the Hudson River. Tom Hanks plays Sully and the movie is directed by Clint Eastwood, so it's got to be good, right? And right you would be. While the movie skips back and forth between the events before and during the "water landing" (not crash, as corrected by Sully) and the resulting NTSB investigation, it wasn't distracting. In fact, it helped me understand it all better. While there was some tension (although not truly accurate) with the NTSB, the movie moved along with its storytelling. Sully, as portrayed by Tom Hanks, proved to be a competent, human, and honorable man, ultimately giving all the credit for the success to his crew, his passengers, and the emergency departments of NYC. It is probably one of the best movies I've seen - I totally recommend it!

This makes movie #7 on my 60 Movies list. Last week I watched the movie "Sister" on one of the movie channels. It's the story of a family whose dad died in a wreck. There are two adult siblings, and a younger daughter who has problems. By the way, the mom is kinda bi-polar. After the funeral, the mother loses it and sends the daughter to stay with her adult brother. The rest of the movie is about the connecting of the brother and sister (he originally wanted nothing to do with her) and how he helps resolves her problems. It's has a few funny moments, and some poignant moments, and ends up with a happy ending, especially if you gloss over the questions you might have. My review? I didn't regret the time I spent watching it, but I'm also glad I didn't spend money to watch it.

So far, I'm one-tenth of the way to my 60 movies. "Bridget Jones Baby" comes out this week, so hopefully that's on the agenda!!
******************************************************************************************
Today's blessings include: corn meal pancakes at the Pantry with Maribeth; "Sully" with Maribeth; leftover burgers for dinner

No comments: