Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Stupid Is As Stupid Does

Or you can't teach an old dog new tricks.  Or as Anne of Green Gables said, "I never make the same mistake twice." To which Marilla replied: "I don't know as that's much benefit when you're always making new ones." In other words, take your pick of quotes - it's happened again.  To me.

"What happened?" you might be wondering.  Four words - iPhone - top of car.  That equation turns equals new iPhone (again) for LaLa. But I digress.  Let me explain.

Today I picked up Lindley and Everley from school and brought them home.  Maribeth had volunteered to pick up JAlex for dinner if I did the school run.  Anyhow, we played and watched Disney Jr and ate dinner.  Everley and Maribeth went home.  Sam, Lynnette, and Lindey prepared to go home.  I went out to accompany Lindley, apparently with my phone in hand.  Lindley asked for some milk for the ride home, and of course I returned to the house to comply with her request.  I gave her the cup-o-milk and she and Lynnette left in her car and I returned to the house.

About five minutes later, I realized that I did not have my phone.  Of course I checked all the usual places (which would be all over the house), to no avail.  I had the feeling that my phone had been left on top of Lynnette's car. Since we have no landline and Steve was out of town, my only method of communication was email.  Which Sam or Lynnette may not read immediately.  I emailed them both, asking them to call my phone, just in case I had put it INSIDE Lynnette's car.  I then emailed Maribeth, asking her to call them.  Maribeth answered the email and called them.  Meanwhile, I got in my car and started driving the route that Lynnette probably would have taken to her house - by the way, it was pitch-black dark by then.

Long story short, there was no phone to be found.  Anywhere.  No phone lying around or shattered about.  Maribeth tried calling my phone, but it went straight to voicemail.  She tried the "Find My iPhone" thingy, but there was no response.  So I determined it was dead, possibly on I65, shattered by some semi. (Later Molly would determine that it probably fell off on our street, and some unsavory person who apparently roams the streets looking for random iPhones found it, turned it off, and has since sold it for millions of dollars).

By this time, it was around 8pm.  Maribeth said she would go with me to Target, where we would purchase a new iPhone.  However, when we got there, the person in charge of telephones in the electronics department had left for the day.  Meanwhile I had already made the next appointment at the Genius Bar at the Apple Store - which would be at noon tomorrow.  We determined that we would go to the Apple Store, regardless of the fact that (a) we had no appointment at the Genius Bar, and (b) it would be closing in thirty minutes.

We arrived at the store and noticed the line of people outside the store (apparently waiting for their iPhones).  We ignored the line and went inside, where Dude #1 checked us into his iPad.  Soon Dude #2 came to us, I explained the circumstances, he explained my options, and thirty minutes later I walked out with a brand new iPhone 6 (the smaller one).  And a new two-year contract.  And considerably less spending money than I had thirty minutes earlier.

I am not sure this will ever happen again.  This time I did purchase Apple Care, which may or may not have been a wise choice.  I just hope I purchased the right iPhone - like one that does not like to travel on top of cars!!


*********************************************************************************
Today is a gift because:  Taking Molly to the airport; picking up the girls at school; Maribeth picking up JAlex dinner; iPhone experience with Maribeth's help

No comments: